Friday, July 19, 2013

Funnel Cake Gone Wrong

Tour day!

Our guide, Gloria, met us early, after a breakfast of dumplings.  (Brent was in heaven with the dumplings.) Tiananmen Square first, then the Forbidden City.  These are places I have read about, taught about even... History, deep in books, suddenly real before my eyes.



The palace, completed in 1420, was actively lived in by emperors for 491 years.  It is now a World Heritage Site. Gloria walked us through the most important buildings, including where the emperor's extra wives lived.  I told Brent not to get any ideas.

Beck brought Buzzy, his elementary school's mascot, along for the day. (They have a Where in the World is Buzzy type billboard.)  Buzzy has now been to China.


Got authentic eastern food for lunch.  I would have NEVER ordered some of these dishes, but we asked Gloria to pick a few of her favorites for us to share.  A non-advendurous eater am I!  But, it really was tasty.  My favorite was the eggplant.  The oddest was a fluffy corn cake with multi-colored ice cream sprinkles on top.  Beck said it tasted like wood chips.  I sort of agree with him.  The consistency of hay with the bland flavor of cornmeal, it was more like a funnel cake gone wrong.  


With our bellies full, onward and UPWARD we went to the Great Wall.  The section we walked was Mutianyu, further from Beijing but with less crowds and beautiful views.  Beck was a kid in a candy shop.  He's been talking about this moment for months!  Brent says years... and I'm the one who exaggerates... 




We "walked" i.e.  hiked, CLIMBED, DESCENDED between 1 1/2 -2 miles. (of 5,000+) 

So. Freakin. Cool.  

Our options were to take a chair lift down or to ride a luge. Duh, easy decision.  Especially for kung fu masters.




Oh, and Brent the photographer was offended I didn't use of his photos.  So here are a few of his gems. He says the poor lighting and excessive haze at the Wall today was not ideal... whatever that means... I snap away on an iPhone and am perfectly happy.  (Amber, I think we could make a hashtag out of my last comment.)





And finally, since today's blog is getting longer by the second, allow me to introduce Beck's daily "blog."  


Beck's Blog











5 comments:

  1. What a fun exploration of the city! Great photos to share with your little one as she gets older! I hope you print these blogs and pictures into her scrapbook so she will know all you experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly love Beck's comment about the bed. I love what kids see as significant!

    My sister did a lot of travel in Asia and she has 3 blonde children. She said people were constantly coming up to her and taking pictures with her fair skinned, blonde headed children, like they were celebrities. I guess Beck is getting an early dose of celebrity status!

    Enjoying your adventures vicariously with you through your blog and continuing to pray for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I teared up reading this post. I am just so happy and excited for all of you and this incredible journey. What an opportunity and what a tremendous blessing that awaits you at the end!!!! CAN'T WAIT to meet Everlee!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete