Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Mama Day

You read that right.  Everlee spent almost all of her awake hours with yours truly.  Brent took off for a few hours to get photos this morning, and he and Beck went on a river boat dinner cruise tonight.  It was preplanned with our agency and travel group.  I opted out because it ended late and I wanted to get E to bed on time with our consulate appointment in the morning.  Plus, I envisioned the Raging Rickshaw plunging overboard.  No thanks, I'll pass.

I did get out for an 1 1/2 during her nap.  A friend and I took a cab down to a market we toured earlier this week. When it came time for us to return, we could not get a taxi to save our lives.  We'd show them the address and they'd wave us away.  We even got in one cab and he booted us out.  I don't know what the deal was.  A passing moped offered to take us.  He pointed to numbers on his odometer to wheel-and-deal a price.  We agreed on 40 RMB.  Divide by 6.  Less than 7 US dollars.  For that bargain, we got a high speed ride weaving in and out of rush hour traffic without the safety of a metal car frame, doors, a roof, or helmets.  It was thrilling!  Being the adventurous spirit I am, I didn't think twice about getting on the back of a stranger's motorized bike.  On the other hand, Ali feared for her life.

That's what you get when you befriend me.



 It looked like this.


We made it to our hotel unscathed.  With a story to tell.  

E and I went to dinner solo.  Table for two.  I enjoyed having her alone.  We ate at the same Italian place as a family last night but it is So. Darn. Tasty.  Best Italian food we've had outside the motherland.  Who'd have guessed?! 

In China.  

The crowded pizzeria plays the right tunes, pushes the tables close together, and serves a heck of a frutti di mare.  If I closed my ears to the language being spoken around me, I could revisit a long meal in Vernazza and taste fresh pesto on my lips.  Moscato, per favore.  




Before Brent headed out earlier, he warmed up his photography skills by taking pictures of Everlee in the garden.  There are so many great ones... I apologize in advance for how long you'll have to scroll down.    










Every child born into the world is a new thought of God.  
An ever fresh and radiant possibility. ~ Unknown
EVERLEE

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a very exciting hour ahead of me... hand washing, rinsing, wringing, and line drying essential laundry.  I know you're jealous.  

     


    

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had such a great day with her! Those photos from the garden are gorgeous!! I hope tomorrow is just as wonderful as today was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great stories and amazing photos. By the way, tell Beck he is an absolute STUD in his Oriental outfit. LOVE IT! He can court one of my girls any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pic of her reaching to the fish! Glad you got some alone time too... And I am jealous at your Italian cuisine experience! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pics of E in the garden are awesome. Thanks for the memories :)

    ReplyDelete