Sunday, July 28, 2013

Raging Rickshaw and the 'No-Daddy Strategy'

Emotions run high today.  E only wants Brent, and he is thrilled to love on her.  But it's exhausting when he can't be relieved.  She arches her back and flails around when I try to give him a break.  He has remained calm, but I know he is at his breaking point.  I feel helpless.  I've shed some tears. There is not much I can do.  I'm not hurt that she prefers him, I just feel bad for him.  Oftentimes, adopted children bond with one parent and leave out the other.  I don't take that to heart.  I just wish I could help Brent.

Our outing today was to a market.  We picked up some small purses for the young ladies in our lives: cousins, neighbors, friends.  Had some special gifts made for the grandparents too.  (Don't want to reveal on here as they read this.)  Also, we bought Everlee a high quality pearl to give her on her wedding day.  I had it set in a ring, but she can decide if she wants it hung as a pendant or made into a bracelet.  Pearls are cheap in China and are traditionally worn at weddings.  The entire time Brent carried her.  She wasn't a fan of the Ergo or a borrowed stroller.

She is a busy, active little thing.  Think 15 month old curiosity but with 31 month old mentality... constantly wanting carried, terrorizing the house, into everything, making messes, and moving on to the next thing in seconds. It's a constant game of chase and protect.

Thankfully, we've been here before.  We are not first time parents.  It's an all-too-familiar, draining stage we have all been through.  The difference is, only one parent is the chaser.

Brent has yet another nickname for her:  Raging Rickshaw. Suits her today especially.

It is mind boggling that all that energy and busyness is still wrapped up in a sweet, compliant, I'll eat whatever, do whatever package.  But it is.  Like two vastly different kids rolled into one.

Pray for physical and mental rest for Brent.  I told him to take a mental health day or afternoon.  Go blow off some stress with his second love... his camera... roam around and get pictures.  (He hasn't been able to get picture since he carries her.  Hasn't even brought his camera on outings knowing she will be a handful.)

She'll survive with just me.  And I'll survive too.  If Dad is not an option, I think she will concede.

We tried the 'No-Daddy strategy' yesterday afternoon. (We don't tell her "no Daddy" but we removed him from the equation.)  We took her to the pool, and I purposefully was the only parent to wear a swimsuit.  She had to swim with me.  After a short fit, she gave in and then splashed happily for a long while.  She LOVED the pool!  A fearless water baby is she.  Beck tried to hold her hands again.  No go. But, she let him hold her up in the water when Mommy walked a few steps away.  It may have been a survival instinct... if brother doesn't hold me I'll go under... but we didn't tell Beck that!  He was super duper proud.






A few more pictures:  Completed US Visa paperwork yesterday too.  Daily outings are just a way to pass the time while we wait for our paperwork to clear.  Our US consulate appointment is Thursday. 


Had Chinese Mexican for dinner last night with our friends, the Fogarty family, from our first flight and Beijing. Toasted to our baby girls! 


Ritual of playing cards at night to stay quiet while E sleeps. 





 

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you all. Cannot wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PI am so thankful to God for everything!! I love her! We is so darling and her smile lights a room! I am praying for you and Brent to continue to seek the Lords wisdom in the parenting and encouragement of her heart through this. Ad for the other little one who was terrified to go with her family. Thank you for regular updates.

    ReplyDelete