Wednesday, September 25, 2013

One Drained Duck

Everlee's transition continues to be fabulous.  She sleeps between 12-13 hours a day, nap included, and she will eat anything we put in front of her.  For example, last night we ate BBQ chicken, mashed potatoes, and broccoli.  We cut everything up as small as we can, mix it all together in a bowl, hand her a spoon, and she goes to town.  She definitely prefers to eat out of a bowl rather than a plate, because that is what she did at the orphanage.  It makes it easier for her to scoop.  And, she's not a fan of forks.

My sweet neighbor, Jan, walked over when we were outside last night to check on us.  I talked her ear off.  Our candid conversation really sums up how we've been.  In a nutshell:  More good days than hard days.  E's doing great, bonding is going well, but I'm simply exhausted.  Drained. I'd forgotten how busy this chasing stage is.  I have a new standard of cleanliness for my home.  It's low.  She adores Beck and the admiration is mutual, but she's hot and cold with Gooch.  She is appropriate at home for the most part, but her behavior isn't always appropriate when we're out and about.  Maybe over stimulation, or maybe she doesn't know how to act in some of these new situations.  Or maybe she's a spaz because she's two.  No matter the reason, we are handling her with love, attention, structure, and care.  But, I am tired.

I'm like a duck on water...  Calm on the surface, but paddling like mad to stay afloat.

And if you follow us on Facebook, you've read our battle with medication.  I'd like to announce, the one time dosage did make it down on attempt number two with force.  It was a WWF match in the house that morning.  It took two adults, a headlock, and multiple syringes of laced chocolate syrup.  If it was a cold, cough or fever, we would have let her ride it out given the fight she put up, but her belly issue can only be dealt with medically.  I had to set aside my emotions in the moment and do what we had to do. And thankfully, it's done.  Let's hope.

Lost pics from the last couple weeks:

Holding Penn's hand.


Early morning bug hunt.


Feeding her baby.  (Which was Beck's baby "Pelly" when Penn was born.  Anyone remember the photo of him nursing her ?  I'll search for it.)


Meeting Pops and Granny.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment